11 Powerful Tools For Building Self-Confidence
“Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities!
Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers,
you cannot be successful or happy.”
– Norman Vincent Peale
I remember myself as a confident, not at all shy child and teenager. Still in my 20’s I had no problem, what so ever, to speak out and be myself, and not worry about what others thought about me. I travelled a lot on my own around the world always open and curious.
But then… something happened, I think somehow gradually…
As I lived through extreme highs I also felt extreme lows throughout my journey. And although I’m grateful now for all of it, because I understand that without it I wouldn’t be the person I am today. At the time though, all those dark moments held me back from believing in myself and living my life fully.
“Self-confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have.
How can anyone see how great you are if you can’t see it yourself?”
It took a long time, getting my head around it. Awareness was the key, working on myself and striving every day to become the best possible version of myself. Facing my fears and pushing my new limits, and the edges of my comfort zone.
The understanding that the level of my confidence, my self-worth
it’s a product of my thought habits and how I deal with challenges
and adversity as they arise, helped me to move forward.
I could believe in myself again, in my values and my worthiness.
“A strong, positive self-image
is the best possible preparation
for success in life.”
– Joyce Brothers
Here are tips that worked for me in building real and lasting confidence:
1. Don’t ever worry about what others think of you – most people just worry about them selves anyway.
2. Be yourself – authentic, genuine, real, with all your beauty and uniqueness. That’s when we feel most comfortable in our skin. With no mask and not afraid of our transparency. Because true confidence embraces transparency and vulnerability.
3.Be aware of your thought patterns – recognise when they need to be changed and shifted. Very helpful in doing so is focusing fully on the person that you are with, so you can’t hear the chatter in your mind. Also focusing on your breathing shifts your attention.
4. Notice when your thoughts go toward worry about what others think of you – try to interrupt your thoughts with a word in your mind or a gesture that your mind will recognise as a “stop, think different” sign. You will observe an immediate shift inside.
5. Visualise and expect your success – when seeing in detail in your mind your wanted outcome, feeling it as if it has already become a reality, you are in the best position to attract it.
6. Love yourself – for some that’s absolutely obvious but for many it might be a challenge. If you are someone who struggles with it, try to simply repeat in your mind or out loud: “I love myself”, “I am enough”, “I am worthy” over and over again. Replace the negative self-talk with these clear statements and after some time you will see an incredible difference in the way how you feel about yourself.
7. Use confident language – understand the tremendous power of words, these spoken out loud as well as those we use to talk to our selves. Replace “I have to…“ with “I choose to…” Empower yourself with your self–talk instead of putting yourself down.
8. Be aware of your posture and physiology – it is mind blowing how powerful can be keeping a particular high-power pose for as little as 2 minutes. The instant increase of testosterone and decrease of cortisol configure our brain to become more assertive, confident and comfortable.
9. Anchor confidence – recall a time when you were in a flow state, when you felt invincible. Then while holding that image in your mind, feeling its emotion, reliving it again – do something with your body, like touching your thumb and the first finger, or touching your chest. Repeat it over and over again so that eventually, with the repetition, only the action (touching the fingers for example) will bring back the feeling of confidence and flow state.
10. Challenge your comfort zones – push yourself to do the things that make you feel uncomfortable. That expand your boundaries, boost your confidence and make you feel powerful for facing your fears. Feel the fear and do it anyway.
11. Repeat positive and empowering affirmations – it helps you in reprogramming your subconscious mind and your limiting beliefs. Repeat statements which work best for you many times a day.
- I have absolute confidence.
- I am strong and powerful.
- I have a great personality.
- I’m good with people.
- I am heard. I am understood.
- I will make it happen.
- People like me and like being around me…
For your confidence to be substantial and permanent it has to come from within.
If it depends on the way you look or comparison to others and the feeling of being better, then it is extremely fragile and temporary.
So believe in yourself. You are amazing just the way you are. Know that you have all you need already within you. By becoming unshakably confident you inspire others to go on a similar journey.
“To be a great champion you must believe you are the best.
If you’re not, pretend you are.”
– Muhammad Ali
I hope that you enjoyed reading this article and that you got a lot of value from it. I invite you to Like and Share it with others and please connect with us on Facebook.
To your confidence,
Beata was born and grew up in Poland. At the age of 21 she moved to Germany and then eight years later to the UK. She is a passionate entrepreneur driven by burning desire to raise awareness about what we are truly capable of as humans and together with like-minded people, create a better sustainable world for the future generations. She is a mother to two beautiful girls, identical twins Atiya and Caira and wife to Sebastian. She is a Holistic Therapist and Kundalini Yoga practitioner. She is intensively learning and implementing healthy nutrition and natural healing in her family life with great success. She loves travelling and exploring new cultures and meeting new people, fascinated by the diversity and beauty in the world. She thrives from her digital lifestyle and earning money online through affiliate marketing and is extremely dedicated to inspire others to make their dream come true too.